CONT201: Copyediting Standards
Wondering whether you're working to professional copyediting standards?
Identify your strengths and gaps, learn to work to industry standards, and gain advanced knowledge and practice in copyediting with the support of an expert copyeditor.
As part of the Professional Editing Standards Certificate program, this course explores advanced topics in copyediting, including correcting grammar, punctuation, spelling, and usage; checking facts; applying editorial style; integrating visuals and non-English content; and checking for completeness.
The Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP) recognises Queen's University Canada's courses as quality training that will count towards CIEP membership upgrade.
|Session||Course Dates||Registration Deadline||Payment Deadline|
|Fall 2023||Oct 02, 2023 – Dec 08, 2023||Sep 22, 2023 at 4pm ET||Sep 27, 2023 at 4pm ET|
|Fall/Winter 2023||Nov 06, 2023 – Feb 09, 2024||Nov 01, 2023 at 4pm ET||Nov 03, 2023 at 4pm ET|
|Winter 2024||Jan 22, 2024 – Apr 05, 2024||Jan 12, 2024 at 4pm ET||Jan 17, 2024 at 4pm ET|
|Late Winter 2024||Feb 19, 2024 – Apr 19, 2024||Feb 09, 2024 at 4pm ET||Feb 14, 2024 at 4pm ET|
- Dates: Oct 02, 2023 – Dec 08, 2023
- Deadline: Sep 22, 2023 at 4pm ET
- Payment Due: Sep 27, 2023 at 4pm ET
- Dates: Nov 06, 2023 – Feb 09, 2024
- Deadline: Nov 01, 2023 at 4pm ET
- Payment Due: Nov 03, 2023 at 4pm ET
- Dates: Jan 22, 2024 – Apr 05, 2024
- Deadline: Jan 12, 2024 at 4pm ET
- Payment Due: Jan 17, 2024 at 4pm ET
Late Winter 2024
- Dates: Feb 19, 2024 – Apr 19, 2024
- Deadline: Feb 09, 2024 at 4pm ET
- Payment Due: Feb 14, 2024 at 4pm ET
This course is applicable to intermediate and advanced editors of English (more than five years’) from all geographical locations. If you are new to the field of editing and are looking for an introductory course, we recommend CONT205: How to Copyedit. If you have some experience as an editor (less than five years’), you may enroll in this course and assess whether the course material matches your current skills. You have the option to withdraw from the course and receive a full refund if you do this by the course’s midpoint. View our refund policy here.
Course MaterialsDownload the course outline [DOCX]
Applicants who require special accommodations are asked to:
- Contact us at least 1 week prior to the start of the course to allow enough time for appropriate accommodations to be made.
- Provide necessary documentation upon request.