Copyediting Standards 2
- CAN 375.00
- 100 hours
As part of the Professional Editing Standards Certificate program, Copyediting Standards 2 moves beyond the mechanical aspects of copyediting to copyediting at the sentence and paragraph level. This course focuses on professional standards for the following topics:
- implications of the audience, medium and purpose for any communication
- how to revise paragraphs and sentences for clarity and coherence
- editing at the language and word level to meet the needs of readers
- considerations for visual and multimedia content, such as tables, figures, audio and video
- how to communicate with authors and query effectively
Identify your strengths and gaps, learn to work to industry standards, and gain advanced knowledge and practice in copyediting at the sentence and paragraph level with the support of an expert editor.
The Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP) recognises Queen’s University Canada’s courses as quality training that will count towards CIEP membership upgrade.
APPLY FOR A COURSE
- Late Winter 2022
- Feb 21, 2022 - Apr 22, 2022
- Application Deadline: Feb 11, 2022
This course is applicable to intermediate and advanced editors of English from all geographical locations. If you're looking to take an introductory editing course, we recommend WRIT 265: Editing in Academic and Professional Contexts, available through Queen's Arts and Science online.
Recommended, but not required, prerequisite:
Copyediting Standards 1.
Course MaterialsDownload the course outline [DOCX]
Required course text:
Style: Lessons in Clarity and Grace, 11th edition (2014), by Joseph M. Williams and Joseph Bizup. Available at Amazon. This book is in its 12th edition but the course uses the 11th edition. The 12th edition is substantially similar.
Beginning in Late Winter 2022 session, CONT 202 will no longer require candidates to purchase a text as all resources will be available online.
Applicants who require special accommodations are asked to:
- Contact us at least 1 week prior to the start of the course to allow enough time for appropriate accommodations to be made.
- Provide necessary documentation upon request.
APPLY FOR A COURSE