CONT202: Copyediting Standards 2
As part of the Professional Editing Standards Certificate program, Copyediting Standards 2 moves beyond the mechanical aspects of copyediting to copyediting at the sentence and paragraph level. This course focuses on professional standards for the following topics:
- implications of the audience, medium and purpose for any communication
- how to revise paragraphs and sentences for clarity and coherence
- editing at the language and word level to meet the needs of readers
- considerations for visual and multimedia content, such as tables, figures, audio and video
- how to communicate with authors and query effectively
Identify your strengths and gaps, learn to work to industry standards, and gain advanced knowledge and practice in copyediting at the sentence and paragraph level with the support of an expert editor.
The Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP) recognises Queen's University Canada's courses as quality training that will count towards CIEP membership upgrade.
|Session||Course Dates||Registration Deadline||Payment Deadline|
|Winter 2024||Jan 22, 2024 – Apr 05, 2024||Jan 12, 2024 at 4pm ET||Jan 17, 2024 at 4pm ET|
|Late Winter 2024||Feb 19, 2024 – Apr 19, 2024||Feb 09, 2024 at 4pm ET||Feb 14, 2024 at 4pm ET|
|Spring 2024||Apr 08, 2024 – Jun 07, 2024||Apr 02, 2024 at 4pm ET||Apr 04, 2024 at 4pm ET|
|Late Spring 2024||May 06, 2024 – Jun 28, 2024||Apr 26, 2024 at 4pm ET||May 02, 2024 at 4pm ET|
|Summer 2024||Jun 24, 2024 – Aug 09, 2024||Jun 14, 2024 at 4pm ET||Jun 20, 2024 at 4pm ET|
- Dates: Jan 22, 2024 – Apr 05, 2024
- Deadline: Jan 12, 2024 at 4pm ET
- Payment Due: Jan 17, 2024 at 4pm ET
Late Winter 2024
- Dates: Feb 19, 2024 – Apr 19, 2024
- Deadline: Feb 09, 2024 at 4pm ET
- Payment Due: Feb 14, 2024 at 4pm ET
- Dates: Apr 08, 2024 – Jun 07, 2024
- Deadline: Apr 02, 2024 at 4pm ET
- Payment Due: Apr 04, 2024 at 4pm ET
Late Spring 2024
- Dates: May 06, 2024 – Jun 28, 2024
- Deadline: Apr 26, 2024 at 4pm ET
- Payment Due: May 02, 2024 at 4pm ET
- Dates: Jun 24, 2024 – Aug 09, 2024
- Deadline: Jun 14, 2024 at 4pm ET
- Payment Due: Jun 20, 2024 at 4pm ET
This course is applicable to intermediate and advanced editors of English (more than five years’) from all geographical locations. If you are new to the field of editing and are looking for an introductory course, we recommend CONT205: How to Copyedit. If you have some experience as an editor (less than five years’), you may enroll in this course and assess whether the course material matches your current skills. You have the option to withdraw from the course and receive a full refund if you do this by the course’s midpoint. View our refund policy here.
Course MaterialsDownload the course outline [DOCX]
Required course text:
Style: Lessons in Clarity and Grace, 11th edition (2014), by Joseph M. Williams and Joseph Bizup. Available at Amazon. This book is in its 12th edition but the course uses the 11th edition. The 12th edition is substantially similar.
Beginning in Late Winter 2022 session, CONT 202 will no longer require candidates to purchase a text as all resources will be available online.
Applicants who require special accommodations are asked to:
- Contact us at least 1 week prior to the start of the course to allow enough time for appropriate accommodations to be made.
- Provide necessary documentation upon request.