CONT200: Fundamentals of Editing Standards
Wondering whether you're working to professional editorial standards? Identify your strengths and gaps and learn to work to industry standards.
Written and led by an industry expert, the Fundamentals of Editing Standards course will help you build the underlying concepts needed for a strong foundation in editing.
The first step in a series of courses as part of the Professional Editing Standards Certificate, this course takes you through topics such as the publishing and editorial process, how the scope and scheduling of a project impact the editing, techniques and skills at the heart of all types of editing, and the legal and ethical considerations that editors need to know.
The Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP) recognises Queen's University Canada's courses as quality training that will count towards CIEP membership upgrade.
|Session||Course Dates||Registration Deadline||Payment Deadline|
|Winter 2024||Jan 22, 2024 – Apr 05, 2024||Jan 12, 2024 at 4pm ET||Jan 17, 2024 at 4pm ET|
|Late Winter 2024||Feb 19, 2024 – Apr 19, 2024||Feb 09, 2024 at 4pm ET||Feb 14, 2024 at 4pm ET|
|Spring 2024||Apr 08, 2024 – Jun 07, 2024||Apr 02, 2024 at 4pm ET||Apr 04, 2024 at 4pm ET|
|Late Spring 2024||May 06, 2024 – Jun 28, 2024||Apr 26, 2024 at 4pm ET||May 02, 2024 at 4pm ET|
|Summer 2024||Jun 24, 2024 – Aug 09, 2024||Jun 14, 2024 at 4pm ET||Jun 20, 2024 at 4pm ET|
- Dates: Jan 22, 2024 – Apr 05, 2024
- Deadline: Jan 12, 2024 at 4pm ET
- Payment Due: Jan 17, 2024 at 4pm ET
Late Winter 2024
- Dates: Feb 19, 2024 – Apr 19, 2024
- Deadline: Feb 09, 2024 at 4pm ET
- Payment Due: Feb 14, 2024 at 4pm ET
- Dates: Apr 08, 2024 – Jun 07, 2024
- Deadline: Apr 02, 2024 at 4pm ET
- Payment Due: Apr 04, 2024 at 4pm ET
Late Spring 2024
- Dates: May 06, 2024 – Jun 28, 2024
- Deadline: Apr 26, 2024 at 4pm ET
- Payment Due: May 02, 2024 at 4pm ET
- Dates: Jun 24, 2024 – Aug 09, 2024
- Deadline: Jun 14, 2024 at 4pm ET
- Payment Due: Jun 20, 2024 at 4pm ET
This course is applicable to intermediate and advanced editors of English (more than five years’) from all geographical locations. If you are new to the field of editing and are looking for an introductory course, we recommend CONT205: How to Copyedit. If you have some experience as an editor (less than five years’), you may enroll in this course and assess whether the course material matches your current skills. You have the option to withdraw from the course and receive a full refund if you do this by the course’s midpoint. View our refund policy here.
Course MaterialsDownload the course outline [DOCX]
Required text: Editors' Association of Canada. (2015). Editorial Niches: A Companion to Editing Canadian English, 3rd edition, available at Chapters Indigo.
Applicants who require special accommodations are asked to:
- Contact us at least 1 week prior to the start of the course to allow enough time for appropriate accommodations to be made.
- Provide necessary documentation upon request.