TESL Part 1
- CAN 3000.00
- 125 hours
Teaching English as a Second Language Part 1 equips learners with the skills and knowledge to teach English around the world. Its focus on current, creative teaching methods will benefit both new and experienced teachers.
In this course you will have the opportunity to
- distinguish various contexts for teaching/learning English
- explain the essentials of English grammar in clear language
- apply the principles of current ESL teaching methods
- select a variety of materials and techniques for teaching grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, reading, listening, speaking and writing
- design lesson plans appropriate to the needs of adult language learners
- anticipate and solve issues in the classroom
- locate TESL resources for continuing professional development
Successful completion of TESL 1* will allow candidates to apply for CTESOL certification with TESL Ontario.
*A 20 hour practicum is required. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
APPLY FOR A COURSE
This course is not yet scheduled for any upcoming sessions. Check back soon!
Must have an undergraduate degree and meet the English language requirements as set out by TESL Ontario.
TESL Ontario accepts CELTA and Trinity College London (UK) CerTESOL Program as equivalent to Part 1.
Jeremy Harmer, The Practice of English Language Teaching, Fifth Edition. Pearson Education, 2015. ISBN 978 1 4479 8025 4
Betty S. Azar, Understanding and Using English Grammar, Fifth Edition. Pearson Education, 2017. ISBN 978–0–13–427525–3(international Edition)
Links to other digital resources are provided in the coursework.
A smartphone or a computer with a web camera and microphone to create practice teaching demos.
Applicants who require special accommodations are asked to:
- Contact us at least 1 week prior to the start of the course to allow enough time for appropriate accommodations to be made.
- Provide necessary documentation upon request.
APPLY FOR A COURSE