CONT891: TESL Part 2
Teaching English as a Second Language Part 2 introduces you to the principles of teaching and learning a second language. The main objective of the course is to introduce you to the principles of communicative language teaching (CLT), a leading methodology used in today's language classrooms.
In this course you will have the opportunity to
- identify current trends in the field of second language education
- differentiate between first language acquisition and second language learning
- demonstrate knowledge of the main methods in the history of second language learning
- explain the theory behind the communicative language teaching (CLT
- interpret the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLBs)
- apply the CLT principles to teaching a second language (e.g., teaching grammar, pronunciation, vocabulary, pragmatics, task-based learning
- recognize the main principles of blended learning
- create awareness of the importance of technology in the development of language skills
- show knowledge of the main principles of assessment including portfolio-based assessment (PBLA)
- create learning tasks and assessment tools that incorporate the CLT principles, including unit or module planning
- identify the needs of different learners, such as literacy learners and international students in Canada
- critically examine the issues of diversity and inclusion in the field of second language education
- recognize opportunities for professional networking and professional development
A 30 hour practicum is required to complete this course. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
|Session||Course Dates||Registration Deadline||Registration Status|
|TESL 2 SUMMER 2023||Jun 01, 2023 – Sep 29, 2023||May 29, 2023||Open|
TESL 2 SUMMER 2023
- Dates: Jun 01, 2023 – Sep 29, 2023
- Deadline: May 29, 2023
- Status: Open
Registration will remain open until 4pm ET on the posted registration deadline date.
Must have an undergraduate degree and meet the English language requirements as set out by TESL Ontario.
Must have completed Part 1 or a TESL Ontario or TESL Canada approved program.
TESL Ontario accepts CELTA and Trinity College London (UK) CerTESOL Program as equivalent to Part 1.
**If you have completed Part 1 (or equivalent) at another institution you may have to complete additional practicum hours. Please contact us for more information and we can confirm your requirements.
Course MaterialsDownload the course outline [DOCX]
Links to digital resources provided in the course.
A smartphone or a computer with a web camera and microphone.
Applicants who require special accommodations are asked to:
- Contact us at least 1 week prior to the start of the course to allow enough time for appropriate accommodations to be made.
- Provide necessary documentation upon request.