CONT891: TESL Part 2
Teaching English as a Second Language Part 2 introduces you to the principles of teaching and learning a second language. The main objective of the course is to introduce you to the principles of communicative language teaching (CLT), a leading methodology used in today's language classrooms.
In this course you will have the opportunity to
- identify current trends in the field of second language education
- differentiate between first language acquisition and second language learning
- demonstrate knowledge of the main methods in the history of second language learning
- explain the theory behind the communicative language teaching (CLT
- interpret the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLBs)
- apply the CLT principles to teaching a second language (e.g., teaching grammar, pronunciation, vocabulary, pragmatics, task-based learning
- recognize the main principles of blended learning
- create awareness of the importance of technology in the development of language skills
- show knowledge of the main principles of assessment including portfolio-based assessment (PBLA)
- create learning tasks and assessment tools that incorporate the CLT principles, including unit or module planning
- identify the needs of different learners, such as literacy learners and international students in Canada
- critically examine the issues of diversity and inclusion in the field of second language education
- recognize opportunities for professional networking and professional development
A 30 hour practicum is required to complete this course. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
|Session||Course Dates||Registration Deadline||Payment Deadline|
|TESL 2 Fall/Winter 2023||Nov 01, 2023 – Feb 28, 2024||Oct 27, 2023 at 4pm ET||Oct 31, 2023 at 4pm ET|
|TESL 2 Late Winter 2024||Mar 01, 2024 – Jun 30, 2024||Feb 26, 2024 at 4pm ET||Feb 28, 2024 at 4pm ET|
TESL 2 Fall/Winter 2023
- Dates: Nov 01, 2023 – Feb 28, 2024
- Deadline: Oct 27, 2023 at 4pm ET
- Payment Due: Oct 31, 2023 at 4pm ET
TESL 2 Late Winter 2024
- Dates: Mar 01, 2024 – Jun 30, 2024
- Deadline: Feb 26, 2024 at 4pm ET
- Payment Due: Feb 28, 2024 at 4pm ET
Must have an undergraduate degree and meet the English language requirements as set out by TESL Ontario.
Must have completed Part 1 or a TESL Ontario or TESL Canada approved program.
TESL Ontario accepts CELTA and Trinity College London (UK) CerTESOL Program as equivalent to Part 1.
**If you have completed Part 1 (or equivalent) at another institution you may have to complete additional practicum hours. Please contact us for more information and we can confirm your requirements.
Course MaterialsDownload the course outline [DOCX]
Links to digital resources provided in the course.
A smartphone or a computer with a web camera and microphone.
Applicants who require special accommodations are asked to:
- Contact us at least 1 week prior to the start of the course to allow enough time for appropriate accommodations to be made.
- Provide necessary documentation upon request.